Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Lists... are they worth it?

Not only does my family like to take road trips once a year, we are also huge into camping. I note this because it was during one of our camping trips that I fell in love with the "packing list". I always figured that if I thought about it, and then packed as I go then I would be fine. Well, as often in life, I learned that the hard way, it doesn't always work that easy. We went camping in the middle of July and although this is Canada, we do get HOT summers ;). However this July was not the case. I thought I had packed enough cooler clothes for all of us, but it turned out I packed extra cooler clothes for my son, and not anything for my daughter. So after a trip to the local WalMart, $25 later... I had clothes for my daughter. Something that could have easily been avoided had I made a list, and followed it.

Why didn't I use a list? Part of it was laziness, and part of it I figured we go camping enough, surely I can remember to pack everything that is needed. Well after each child that "mommy brain" syndrome has not cleared up, it has gotten worse. So, now I have a packing list on my computer, for each "event". 
  1. Alabama Packing List
  2. Camping Packing List
  3. Going to Grandma and Grandpas Packing List
Many of the lists over lap, but some have special things that the other lists don't need. And the beauty of the computer? I just pull it up, print it off, and tackle the checklist one at a time. Yes there still is the odd time I forget something, or think "I need to get that later", but with the lists these happen farther and fewer between.

Other lists that I use for travelling, are ones for their "In the van" bag, and the baby gets a whole different list checking off his diapers, formula, food, bibs etc. as these are items that change depending on the age of the baby.

Ok, I will be honest, and say that I do not ALWAYS follow the lists. There are also times I go back into the path of "I'll remember" and just pack on a whim. Well, I will also admit, that it is these times I end up forgetting something.

For those of you out there who can do it without a list, my  hat goes off to you. Please tell me your secret! And for those of you who use different ideas, feel free to share, I love learning new ways to be prepared packing wise. Admittedly my first camping list came from my EXTREMELY organized friend, to which I revamped for me, the less organized individual...

What sort of lists do you use when going away?

No comments:

Post a Comment